VA Connecticut Healthcare System
Fisher House Dedication Set for May 4
West Haven – On Friday, May 4, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, the Friends of Fisher House Connecticut and the Fisher House Foundation will officially dedicate the 16-suite house that will provide temporary accommodations for the eligible family members of veterans receiving inpatient treatment.
The 11am ceremony will be adjacent to the house near the Campbell Avenue entrance. Attendees must park at the Vertical Church, 225 Meloy Road in West Haven. VA will provide handicap-accessible shuttles from the lot to the Fisher House.
"We are honored to have the first Fisher House in the state of Connecticut," said Gerald Culliton, Director of VA Connecticut Healthcare System. "Our West Haven campus is the only full service inpatient VA facility in the state. The Fisher House will provide the families and caregivers of our veterans with a safe, comfortable, supportive environment while their veteran receives care."
In addition to the suites, there is a common kitchen, laundry room, dining area, living room and space for children to play. Funding for the house was made possible through the fundraising efforts of the Friends of Fisher House Connecticut, the Fisher House Foundation and the local community. The completed house was gifted to the VA to operate and maintain in perpetuity.
Who can stay at the Fisher House?
- All potential guests must be actively involved in the hospitalized veteran’s care and provide ongoing bedside support during the episode of care.
- Guests must reside 50 miles or more, or at least two hours from the West Haven campus.
- Guests must be self-sufficient and able to independently care for themselves or be accompanied by a caregiver as there is no medical staff, catering staff or housekeeping service on-site.
- Guests must be willing to abide by house guidelines and regulations including the prohibition of smoking, weapons, alcohol or drug use and be willing to clean up after themselves.
- Guests are not permitted to bring pets. No animals are permitted except for service dogs.
- Guests must express a willingness to respect the rights of other guests and contribute to a supportive and caring environment.
- Children under 18 may be accommodated if they are supervised at all times by their family members.
- Families will only be assigned one guest suite.
Referrals to the Fisher House must be done in advance by the social worker assigned to the patient. The patient’s social worker will conduct an initial screening to determine appropriateness. A referral does not equate to a reservation. The referral merely places the prospective guests on a waiting list for lodging. Reservations are based on eligibility criteria and room availability.