VA » Health Care » VA Connecticut Healthcare System » Press Releases » VA Connecticut statement on patient wireless Internet service
VA Connecticut Healthcare System
VA Connecticut statement on patient wireless Internet service
October 13, 2016
- In response to a patient’s inquiry regarding the installation of wireless Internet service throughout the facility, VA Connecticut contacted other VA hospitals in New England to see if this service was available and if so, how much it cost to install and maintain.
- Two VA facilities (Boston and Northampton) currently provide patient wireless service.
- The cost was $300,000 (Northampton) and $500,000 (Boston).
- Wireless is available in our Geriatric and Extended Care Unit community room. Patients in these areas are here for an extended period of time (weeks to months) as part of palliative care, hospice and long term care programs.
- VA Connecticut - using the required federal contracting process - will put out a request for proposals to get an estimate for wireless Internet installation, maintenance, support, connection and help desk.
- We appreciate any support by our congressional delegation to get this project funded.